Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Preach the word, be prepared

 "I solemnly urge you in the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who will someday judge the living and the dead  when he appears to set up His Kingdom: Preach the Word of God. Be prepared , whether the time is favorable or not."   2 Timothy 4:1-2

I have been humbled and challenged by Paul's charge to Timothy.  Being in full time ministry I am supposed to have this evangelism thing down, right?   Well just in the few interactions I have had recently I have become aware of just how unprepared I am at times to use God's word.  Also I have noticed that just like with anything else the more that I engage people with the gospel the more alert and sensitive I become.  While at the same time when I don't actively share my faith the more unprepared and out of shape I am.

Today I approach a couple in the park. Joseph was 23. Sorry I can't remember his friends name.  I approached them by saying "could I share some good news with you that changed my life?"  After sharing I bit of my story along with the gospel they both said that they had accepted Christ at some point.  Although they both talked about going to church and having family that is religious rather than more of a personal experience.  They seemed ready to move on so I said goodbye.  As I left I felt I wondered if I had correctly handled God's word.  Did they really understand what it means to truly give their lives to Christ?  Was this just something they grew up hearing at church but not really experiencing life change?  Please pray that this couple would truly understand the gospel.

 This challenges me to be prepared and to preach the Word whether the time is favorable or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment